Re: [LUG] FTP delays

On Friday 10 November 2000 21:57, you wrote:
> Sure your ftp'ing to the right IP address?

Telnet and Apache both respond to 192.168.0.2 or http://linux
The Win98 machine is set up as 192.168.0.1 or http://dell
I can access either site (Win98 uses Xitami to provide an intranet server)
from either machine without any delays. I can use smbclient to access the
Windows machine from the Linux box without problems.
Webmin and SWAT both respond on either machine. When I start FTP, I use
either linux or 192.168.0.2 as the host. Both are delayed.

> I think we'd need a bit more background on how your set up is
> configured?
<<

I currently have Internet Connection Sharing on the Win98 box, internet
connection set to LAN (I dial manually using a DUN shortcut) and Linux is set
to look for DNS details from the Win98 box : 192.168.0.1 as DNS server 1.
KPPP is not configured and Linux happily looks for internet sites and servers
using eth0. (The linux box has no modem, winmodem or not, there simply is
nothing fitted.) This allows Netscape and Konqueror to find internet sites
from the Linux box when the Win98 box is connected to the internet. KMail
also functions this way.

I was wondering if it is the DNS that is causing the error. However, as both
the name and the IP are suffering delays, surely DNS is not the problem? Or
am I just confused? I thought I needed DNS, but for a two PC LAN, do I
actually need it? I have Linux setup to use etc/hosts first and this contains
the details of http://dell as 192.168.0.1 and http://linux as 192.168.0.2
Windows98 hosts file also contains references to both IP's and names.

> Do other protocols using TCP work from Windows to Linux? from Linux to
> Windows?

Yes. I can use smbclient from Linux to Windows and I can use Telnet from
Windows to Linux. All connect instantly.

FTP only connects instantly if I have an internet connection.

I can't see it as an authentication issue as the connection doesn't get that
far, it just says connecting to 192.168.0.2:21, connected to 192.168.0.2 port
21 and then waits . . . . .  (In this example, the connection attempted to
find the host linux which is 192.168.0.2 so the matching of linux to the IP
is correct.

Neither can I see it as a permissions problem - after all the connection does
not halt at this stage - even for a fraction - when an internet connection is
open.

I can use ping to check linux, dell, or the IP numbers without failures.
Everything about eth0 appears to be working. Just the FTP delay.

--
Neil Williams
# at # at # at # at # at #
linux at codehelp.co.uk