Re: [LUG] FTP delays

Neil Stone wrote:

> I have the same thing.... I have a dial up internet connection.. and a lan
> connection to the Linux box (RH6.1) Win 98 SE allways tries to connect over
> the Dialup...

Hmm - so I assume from your description you have Windows doing the
dialing not Linux.

Not strictly a Linux user group issue, but you can configure this to
work fine (I have).

The key areas to check are;

Internet Explorer-> Tools, Internet Options, Connection (IIRC).
The DNS setting for networking and dial up networking and the windows
hosts file (It was C:\Windows\hosts in Win95).

I have the local addresses in a host file, but use the Internet for
remote addresses (as I haven't got around to forcing it to use my Linux
box as a proxy for anything but web browsing).

If you can't get it together mail me privately and I'll boot up my
idling Win95 box and try copying the settings to you. I think I changed
them when I told Win95 to proxy the web browsing.

Or if you want to simplify it - just tell it to use a LAN connection,
and dial the Internet by clicking on a DUN icon dropped on your desktop
when you need it 8-)

> I guess it's cause Windoze sux !!

Hmm - Win95/98 is actually quite flexible in what TCP/IP configurations
it can handle - you did update to the latest version of DUN and apply
all recommended TCP/IP patches?

Sometimes the GUI isn't enough to configure them all - don't you love
regedit.

Now is you were to ask how well implemented the various details are...
8-)

Of course it lacks Linux's firewalling capabilities and flexibility -
but then it was never designed for a hostile environment like the
Internet - at least that is what Microsoft claim and I believe them (for
once).