[LUG]Re: Dual monitor set up

On Thu, Jun 15, 2023 at 12:20:37PM +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jun 2023, Henry Bremridge wrote:
>
> > Anyone have bright ideas as to the best way to get the dual monitor to
> > work (previous monitor was bought in 2018)
>

> When I last did dual monitor stuff under Devuan it sort of "just worked".
> Plugged it in and go.. This was on both my desktop when using openshot video
> editor and laptop when using libreoffice presenter thing via projector
> display.
>
> I used the arandr program to do the actual setup of positioning the screens
> relative to each other (up, down, left or right, mirrored or whatnot).
>
> In normal use I really didn't want 2 screens, so I wrapped openshot
> with an xrandr command to enable it then disable it:
>
> To enable dual-screen:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 0x1080 --rotate normal --output
> HDMI-2 --off --output HDMI-1 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal
> --output DP-1 --off --output DP-2 --off
>

> and to disable it:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> xrandr --output VGA-1 --off --output HDMI-2 --off --output HDMI-1 --mode
> 1920x1080 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal --output DP-1 --off --output DP-2 --off
>
> These commands were actually generated by arandr - they are in
> ~/.screenlayout
>
> Arandr is a more friendly version of xrandr - or at least interactive.

arandr shows a single monitor... which makes me think it is one
of the following

-       A complete screw up by me

-       Dell only drives one monitor (I do not think this is the case) but..

-       There is a conflict with driving different size screens from
        different ports (HDMI and Display port).

My current thinking is therefore one of the following

-       get a graphic card so that each monitor has its own graphic
        card.

-       Update my old monitor

Will try a live CD and see what that does

--
Henry
Thu 15 Jun 15:45:42 BST 2023