Re: [LUG] Apt upgrading zoneminder. or not in this case - solved, going to dist upgrade at some point

On Thu, 9 Jun 2022 14:18:28 +0800
stinga <stinga+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello stinga,

>It refuses to see a newer version and update to it.

Paraphrased from your original post;
From DMO
zoneminder version 2:1.30.4-dmo+deb9u2
From ZM
zoneminder version 1.36.7
also
zoneminder version 1.36.5
Finally;
zoneminder is already the newest version (2:1.30.4-dmo1+deb9u2)

Please correct me if the above is wrong.  Assuming it's right;
Due to the way versioning works, the DMO version *is* the highest
version.  The epoch number (2:) is what makes it so.  The reason the
epoch number gets added is to *ensure* DMO versions are higher than the
other repos and will, therefore, be installed without having to alter any
settings in the apt* universe.

To install the ZM version use the 'force' option of apt* to specify the
package you want installed.  This may be easier using Synaptic, where
specifying a particular version can be done picking from a drop-down
list.

After installation, you will have to juggle with pinning and preferred
repo settings to ensure the DMO version doesn't get re-installed.

--
 Regards  _
         / )      "The blindingly obvious is never immediately apparent"