Re: [LUG] USB drives

Before you try anything, take an image of the disk using the dd utility so you don't make anything worse. More information here: https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/disk-cloning-in-linux-using-dd-command/

Then you'll need to do some investigation starting with dmesg lsblk and fdisk

On 16 February 2022 11:21:45 GMT, Paul Sutton via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 16/02/2022 10:52, George Parker wrote:
I have been trying to use usb drives lately. One a usb 500 gb ssd drive
for backing up and one a 64 gb micro sd card for use in an Android
tablet, and I have borked both of them. Total value £36 so not a
disaster. But I can't find a way to reformat them in spite of extensive
googling and that is extremely annoying. There must be some way of
forcing a basic format of these drives. Gparted won't touch them, msusb
does nothing and various command line methods have done nothing. A lot
of methods concentrate on getting data back but I don't want to do that.
I just want them in a state to get data onto them. Any ideas anybody?

George

There is, or was a program called gnome-disks which I have found useful
in the past.

https://www.systutorials.com/docs/linux/man/1-gnome-disks/

Not too sure if this is now part of a wider package, so trying to
investigate, so mentioning in case someone else can also help in the
meantime.

Hope this helps

Paul