Re: [LUG] USB drives

On 16/02/2022 11:21, Paul Sutton via list wrote:

On 16/02/2022 10:52, George Parker wrote:
I have been trying to use usb drives lately. One a usb 500 gb ssd drive for backing up and one a 64 gb micro sd card for use in an Android tablet, and I have borked both of them. Total value £36 so not a disaster. But I can't find a way to reformat them in spite of extensive googling and that is extremely annoying. There must be some way of forcing a basic format of these drives. Gparted won't touch them, msusb does nothing and various command line methods have done nothing. A lot of methods concentrate on getting data back but I don't want to do that. I just want them in a state to get data onto them. Any ideas anybody?

George

There is, or was a program called gnome-disks which I have found useful in the past.

https://www.systutorials.com/docs/linux/man/1-gnome-disks/

Not too sure if this is now part of a wider package, so trying to investigate,  so mentioning in case someone else can also help in the meantime.

Hope this helps

Paul

Have you locked them into the system and user you used to try to set them up?
If so they may not mount except into that exact user.

TRY a LIVE KNOPPIX distro to mount them and in KNOPPIX use GParted to then reformat them.

As I do all my main computing on an external mounted USB drives, I have been using USB drives as may main Linux machines for over 5 years. This leaves underlying Windows internal drive alone and as sole owner of laptop when Linux USB is not connected.

What were you doing when you attached the USB drive, and in what system were you operating, as 'USER' or as 'ADMIN'?

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald