Re: [LUG] Problem with wireless printer

On 17/12/2021 12:17, Julian Hall wrote:
> On 16/12/2021 19:42, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Dec 2021, 19:25 Aaron Moore, <aaronmoore@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> <mailto:aaronmoore@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hello
>>
>>     I am having real problems with my wifi printer.  Half the time it
>>     does not connect, and then every time I turn my back there seems
>>     to be another printer listed in the drop down of printers list.  I
>>     am using Ubuntu 20.04.
>>
>>     I have tried the following
>>
>>     /sudo service cups-browsed restart/
>>
>>     /sudo gedit /etc/cups/cups-browsed.conf/
>>
>>     /suo systemctl disable cups-browsed//
>>     /
>>
>>     /sudo systemctl stop cups-browsed/
>>
>>     But I still get the problem
>>
>>     Thanks for reading and any suggestions
>>
>>     Aaron
>>
>> Silly question... it's not getting a different IP address from DHCP
>> each time is it?
>
> I've also had this issue (HP Officejet 4655 on Mint 19.3) but then
> discovered there was no Default printer set in the Control Panel. If you
> set one as a Default it should stop adding more.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

In openSUSE, (YaST control) you select printer, add and designate as
'default', however I find it works well with a printer when given a
fixed IP, which I can select for any 'network printer', then works on
Ethernet or WiFi.
Any additional printers have to be manually added, except PDF (for file
storage). I can set up same printer with same IP but different ID name
if I list it as 'spare printer' it then appears in drop down box of
printers when I chose to print with always the default printer
pre-selected at top of list unless I change it. The PDF printer (always
added by openSUSE)for saving as a file is under list at bottom when
printing from LibreOffice.
This allows me to always get at printer as default or as 'spare'

--
regards
Eion MacDonald