Re: [LUG] Printers, whinge and whine

On 07/11/2021 14:25, maceion@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On 07/11/2021 14:08, Michael Everitt wrote:

>>> I find Oki printers work OK with Linux systems (openSUSE, Debian, Ubuntu
>>> as Xubuntu).
>>>
>> Can you still buy Oki printers? Last one's I saw were back in the 90s - but then I
>> know that's the kinda era for Eion .. *grin*
>>

> Ta. About right. That was my grand 'mature days'.
>
> Oki closed Glasgow manufacturing,
> My rumour factory remembers a bit of an argument about 'laser'. They
> could not comply with HMG procurement who specify "Laser printer" They
> use LEDs and Gov procurement could not authorise any except 'laser
> printers'. I have found them very dependable versus HP (Have junked two
> HPs in my time)
>
> HMG procurement staff seem sometimes a bit of technical incompetents.

Gotta admit, I'm somewhat ignorant as to where the LED/laser line got drawn, and
whether there is mis-selling going on. I see no reason why you couldn't have
laser-LED printers technically (right?!).

I've had no problem with the non-el-cheapo HP units over the last 15 years probably
now. The worst I had was waiting for a new HP-LIP release before I could use the
scanner on one of my all-in-one units (with sheet feeder, and networking), but HP's
release cycle isn't too bad. HPLIP (don't be confused by the name, its not
exclusively 'inkjet' printers any more) is pretty well-developed and supported (I
think Ubuntu/Canonical are 'in' there somewhere) and it plugs right into CUPS which
is the de-facto printing system for Linux (derived from Apple somewhere).
The good news, is that the Apple developer responsible for Cups, who left Apple, is
still involved in development now it's moved to OpenPrinting -
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Apple-No-More-CUPS .

Brother, Epson, etc MFC's certainly seem to be a bit more hazy in Linux .. but some
digging around and they can be made to work. Scanning doesn't always work with Sane
though, and getting native drivers going mostly won't happen (I've never been brave
enough to try Wine, but its possible I s'pose).
If you do have a Windoze share, there's no reason CIFS/Samba4 shouldn't talk to it ..
I'm pretty sure I've at least Attempted it in the past ...

My 2cents,
veremitz / Michael.