Re: [LUG] Printers, whinge and whine

On 07/11/2021 14:08, Michael Everitt wrote:
> On 07/11/2021 14:02, maceion@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> On 07/11/2021 12:36, Henry Bremridge wrote:
>>> My HP MFC 8600 died on Friday.. Easy I thought, look up printers, check
>>> they run on Linux and buy. Stupid me
>>>
>>> All my 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice were all out of stock which of course
>>> makes sense given the supply issues
>>>
>>> Suggestions to anyone on the list, if you need a piece of kit be
>>> prepared to buy a premium
>>>
>>> --
>>> Henry
>>>
>> I find Oki printers work OK with Linux systems (openSUSE, Debian, Ubuntu
>> as Xubuntu).
>>
> Can you still buy Oki printers? Last one's I saw were back in the 90s - but then I
> know that's the kinda era for Eion .. *grin*

Ta. About right. That was my grand 'mature days'.

Oki closed Glasgow manufacturing,
My rumour factory remembers a bit of an argument about 'laser'. They
could not comply with HMG procurement who specify "Laser printer" They
use LEDs and Gov procurement could not authorise any except 'laser
printers'. I have found them very dependable versus HP (Have junked two
HPs in my time)

HMG procurement staff seem sometimes a bit of technical incompetents.

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald