[LUG] Phones and range extenders - was Re: Good ISP for Cornwall.

On Friday, 28 May 2021 12:26:49 BST Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Who needs a fixed phone line these days anyway?
> I've been carrying my phone with me for decades now.

I did until quite recently, when Jurassic Fibre offered a connection and EE
sorted out their 4G coverage here. Or at least a BT landline was required,
until recently you might as well have a phone with that.

EE broadband was surprisingly competitive with fibre, but fibre won as I was
worried about weather, dropouts etc and figure a small company likely to be
more responsive. On mobile phones I've had great support from EE, which feels
wrong as all the other mobile providers were terrible at support, except Giff-
Gaff who "didn't provide support", yet actually did what was needed when
needed. Jurassic Fibre have had 1 day outage in about a year, looked
suspiciously like someone dug through a cable.

Very glad to be rid of BT finally, although I think their own ISP offering had
markedly improved in recent years. They were actually quite good at
terminating the service; my best experience of BT was leaving them.

Not sure how competitive the market really, BT were talking a good story of
reconnecting me cheaply if I want to return, but I don't, and I bet they'd
charge a bundle to reconnect the wiring despite what they say, even though it
is all still physically in place.

Ironically my main reliability issue seems to be Linux networking through the
powerline adaptor, the office is upstairs and now the fibre modem downstairs. The
Debian box occasionally drops its connection, both WiFi and ethernet (someone
else reported similar before on the list). This is going to be stupid issue
with the firmware, I thought it might be ARP related but not dug into it
enough, but there is a really good Amazon review by someone who tried to solve
this 6 years ago and eventually bought a TrendNet product. So if I get too
annoyed a solution is about £37 via Amazon, but the TP Link products work fine
for all the other devices that use it, and it isn't that frequent.

Review says problems are WiFi only, but no they aren't.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3D56GR5ABTSYZ

Firmware Version:
1.2.9 Build 160525 Rel.35241n

Hardware Version: