Re: [LUG] Google Account

Dear Neil,

I certainly like Paul Sutton's idea of using PeerTube, but if the
content you want is specifically on YouTube I have possible options
below, along with instructions. Hope this helps! These solutions are
listed with the easiest at the top, getting progressively more awkward
to set up. My favourite is No.2; I use it all the time.

Potential Solution No.1: Invidious

This allows you to watch YouTube videos but with a different user
interface - one that does not require you to sign in or make an account.

It will be quite involved to host an Invidious instance yourself, but
you can just follow a link to a public instance from this list:

https://github.com/iv-org/documentation/blob/master/Invidious-Instances.md

Then you can just browse and watch videos like if you were on the
official YouTube 'frontend', just without the pop-ups. If one instance
on the list doesn't work, just pick another one. These kind of things
get broken and then fixed again on a regular basis!

Potential Solution No.2: mpv + youtube-dl

This is a great option for watching videos if you have the link. You
can't browse YouTube with this method, but you can copy the URL from the
address bar once you've found what you want to watch.

I think you are on MX Linux, right? To install, run as root/with sudo:

apt-get install mpv youtube-dl

Now, in a terminal window, just type "mpv" followed by a space, and then
the URL of the video you want. Like this:

mpv https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF3OWCYLLVQ

Wait a few seconds, and lo and behold, up comes a window with your
video! If you get an error, don't be surprised - like Invidous,
youtube-dl breaks regularly. Just post here with the error message;
it'll probably be something that can be fixed with an quick update or
similar.

And if all else fails...

Potential Solution No.3: FreeTube

Loath though am I to recommend such a inefficient program, I'll have to
give it credit where it's due - it does work!

https://freetubeapp.io/

The download link is at the end of the page; you should choose either
.deb (x64) or the AppImage. If you need help installing it, I can try
and offer some guidance here. If you choose the AppImage, you should be
able run it by double-clicking its icon in the folder where it
downloaded to.