Re: [LUG] Google Account

On 02/12/2020 12:47, Paul Sutton via list wrote:

> On 02/12/2020 12:34, Neil wrote:
>> Sorry, I know this is a bit off topic .......
>>
>> Recently when using Youtube I keep getting requests to log in to my
>> google account. I don't have one, and do not intend to ever have one.
>> As for google mail, the less said the better.
>>
>> It seems that the time is coming when I will not be able to look at
>> anything on Youtube without signing in. Is that correct. If so my
>> response is that I won't bother with Youtube any more.
>>
>> Or is there a better way? I have done some research already, and as
>> usual am getting more and more confused, and angry,
>>
>> help
>>
>> Neil
>>

> Hi
>
> Not sure how to fix these Google / Youtube issues you could just use
> peertube https://joinpeertube.org/ there are lots of different instances
>  all federated together.
>
> Granted the material you want may not be on there, well the more people
> who use peertube that may change.
>
> You can sign up and easily add your own content.  Or follow content on
> other instances.  however if you have a Mastodon or other account on the
> Fediverse you can follow people on peertube, or other services e.g
> pixelfed which I think is more like instagram in terms of being for
> photos and video.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Paul

One way to use and keep separate, is to isolate Google & YouTube in
Firefox in its or their own container.
You can then sign in but YouTube cannot search your other data on your
device.

As I use Gmail a lot for my 'seniors' due to its better spam handling,
while also coming into them through their anti-virus check systems
(mostly Windows users) I find this safer for them than depending only on
a free anti-virus software. Very few pay for AV protection, some have it
inside their ISP charges for broadband.

Above container isolation is what I teach.
Also so they then have an account other than their ISP, some moved ISPs
and found a monthly or yearly charge to retain their email address.
Seniors do not want to change email addresses but do want to 'grab'
(perhaps unwisely) the latest cheapest ISP broadband.

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald