Re: [LUG] A new printer, Part two

On 21/10/2020 16:31, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 21 Oct 2020, Neil wrote:

I have been very grateful for all suggestions and ideas about replacing my printer. I have since had a good trawl through the internet. I had not realised just how much things have changed. After all I have not thought about getting a new printer for eight years.

Reading up about setting up a new printer, for example, I was surprised to find that, apparently, to get your wifi working on the printer, you need a smart phone with the relevant app installed. Really? Honest??

Well, what do you do if, like me, you do not have a  smart phone? I am starting to realise that I am falling a long way behind some parts of modern life.

Not really expecting any answers. Just letting off steam. More to think about,

It's a cost thing. It's cheaper for them to employ a low-paid worker to write an 'app' for a phone than to put buttons and a display on the printer.

They also get their app on your phone so they can steal all your contacts, photos, (you want to print photos from your phone, right?) and location information and then sell on to the information aggregators.

You want a cheap printer? This is the route to go.

Or pay a bit more for one with a display, buttons and an Ethernet (or USB) socket.

Gordon

Got it, I think. You mean make sure that I get a printer which has an ethernet port so that I can link it by a cable to a USB port on my desktop computer, right? And just don't bother with wifi.

I had already thought of that. I do notice that quite a lot of the printers I am checking out do not have an ethernet link, only wifi. Crafty.

Neil