Re: [LUG] Chromebooks

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 18:44, Eion MacDonald <maceion@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 30/09/2020 18:18, John PNZ wrote:
> 70 tabs open

I most definitely consider this as extreme use.

Not sure I would - or at least, not /that/ far beyond what I would consider normal either.

I certainly have 20-30 tabs open for work at any given time, and 4Gb didn't cut that at all. Open up 3 or 4 tabs of prtg to check different stats for a machine, for example, and the swapping would soon begin! That Windows machine kept struggling beyond 16Gb. (Not that the OS is particularly relevant here). I now have 20G which works just dandy.

Ram is cheap. My time isn't. Waiting even an extra half second, multiple hundreds or thousands of times a day, can get expensive and even the most rudimentary time and motion study suggests it's worth throwing a little memory at the problem - even before you look too deeply at the mental interruption even the blip of transient frustration at delay can cause.  On top of that, two IM desktop clients, Outlook, maybe a spreadsheet or two. Notepad++ with a bajillion tabs open, Editplus with a similar number of scripts being edited.

You could argue it is a user issue, and that my workflow is particularly extreme like Eion's. You could say that it's better for me to close tabs instead of leaving them idle. All of that is a reasonable thing to argue. And I would argue, just as reasonably, that my workflow works best for me and that I'm more productive for it. Different users have different issues.

"My" machines total 96Gb. That does actually sound like a lot. Let's not count the others that aren't solely for my use, especially those big database servers...

Work vm = 20.
Work laptop = 24.
Home desktop = 32 (I was feeling generous to myself)
Home laptop = 8
Home debian server = 12