Re: [LUG] neofetch

On 04/09/19 18:32, mr meowski wrote:
Your hist file is the most useful untapped resource on your system. > Ctrl+r is magic. Change .bashrc to utilise it better and disable
nasty> defaults (maximum entries = 500 is not what you want). Make a couple of> aliases for simple history looting and sorting. Archive all the hist> files from every machine you touch somewhere centrally so you can> pillage them for half-remembered command voodoo when your brain doesn't> work.> > Optionally use something more sophisticated like hstr* to make it even> more useful.> > Personally I spend a lot (most?) of my time reusing and adapting complex> stuff that I actually know how to do but can't ever remember the> punishingly exact syntax. Being a lazy sysadmin I got my computers to> just start remembering everything for me instead: problem solved!> > Cheers

Thanks. I do use the history file sometimes. However, since I use the fish shell (although bash is still loaded of course), Ctrl-r does nothing.

For some of my regularly used commands I have set up abbreviations, which is something like alias on bash. This is very useful and saves me searching my memory.

Neil