Re: [LUG] Overloading routers and phones

On 05/09/2018 12:04, Tom via list wrote:
We have a couple of holiday cottages which link to our fantastically fast BT hub, 1.98Meg Down and 404k up as of the moment. I can go into one cottage which has 7 people in it and most of them cannot connect with their phones/Ipads - the phones complain of not connecting due to slow connection. I take a laptop over and it works fine. There is one device connected there and looking at the router its pretty much using all of the 404k upload.

Is this likely to be the reason the phones cant connect - the other cottage and our house work fine most of the time. When they are in the cottage however a phone in the house wont work but here and the other cottage seem fine.

Anyone shed any light on this before I swap the router out - I've already bought a new extender for them which worked fine until the came home!
How far is the problematic cottage from the Wifi Access point?

If you oversubscribe on the amount of upstream bandwidth it will mean that requests for data may be dropped, which may lead phones to automatically disconnect from WiFi and try to use a 3G/4G signal instead. On Android you can turn off the automatic switch by going to Connections --> Advanced and turning off "Switch to Mobile Data", this will stop the phone from disconnecting, but the service is likely to be slow and poor.

Unfortunately, now that people spend time uploading photos and videos they've taken during the day to social-media sites, the 0.5Mbps that quickly become oversubscribed.

Unfortunately, 2Mbps down/0.5Mbps up is probably not going to easily be shared by more than a handful of people, and depending on their usage, just one or two could make problems for everyone else. If 10 people are using the same link then it is effectively 0.2Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up for each person.

You could change the router, but unless it has some enterprise type features for QoS (Quality of Service), like a Packetshaper (https://www.symantec.com/content/dam/symantec/docs/data-sheets/packetshaper-s200-s400-s500-en.pdf) then any off-the-shelf retail router is unlikely to resolve the problem. Linux and IPtables might have some capability to do what the Packetshaper does, i.e. limit high throughput connections per client.