Re: [LUG] OT: working abroad

On 20/08/2018 08:21, Neil wrote:
On 19/08/18 18:33, mr meowski wrote:

In 2018 using a VPN to secure yourself against incompetent/malicious
networks, service provider DNS "features", traffic logging, etc is just
standard practice surely? Not only for protection whilst travelling
either, home traffic should be VPN'd by default as well to protect you
and your family from err, well, everything. ISP and Government mischief
being top of the list.

I'm going to be pretty mind boggled if literally nobody else here is
using VPNs all the time for everything...

Cheers

Well, I had better go to the naughty step then. I have read so many reports on the net to say that a VPN is not really very effective, but does slow down the connection.

So I do not have any VPN set up. I must add, in my defence, that I do have a protonmail account.

Waiting to be chastised,

Using a VPN in itself is not naughty or bad. It is simply a method of encrypting traffic between two endpoints. One of those endpoints is likely to be your laptop, the other could be your own desktop at home (allowing you to securely access resources that you have at home, or to use resources as if to appear that you were accessing them from home). The other endpoint could also be a third party service, based at a certain location, which wouldn't allow you to access your home resources, but could be used to ensure your traffic appears to come from a certain location. The latter has some use cases that might be considered illegal (e.g. accessing premium TV sports from another country where the sport in question is not a pay-for event). There is an overhead in the encryption, it adds latency to your connection, and your MTU is going to be reduced because the packets need to be encapsulated in a another IP packet, but with modern processors the impact on performance is going to be less than 5%, and depending on your use case you are trading that performance for security of the connection.