Re: [LUG] Any recommendations for a stand alone Scanner suitable for Linus use?

On 23/06/18 11:59, Simon Waters wrote:

>> On 21 Jun 2018, at 17:58, Eion MacDonald via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Um! I do not use a smartphone. (Only 2G sms/talk phone)
>
> Itâs a thread on buying hardware, you can pick up a cheap Android phone with
> sufficient oomph for this sort of app for under Â70 so its a viable alternative,
> although not free software.
>
> You could use OpenNote on Replicant if your objection is the non-free nature of
> mobile phones, and apps.

Not picking on Simon here but I'd just like to point out here that "if
your objection is the non-free nature of mobile phones, and apps" then
well, good luck with that in 2018! Also I have bad news about the
proprietary binary blobs running in every microprocessor-equipped device
you own, including your Linux PC, phone, tablet, set-top box, Raspberry
Pi, car...

Replicant is a noble idea but not in any sense a viable system for
actual use: has anyone actually tried it? I have because I happen to own
one of the 13 prehistoric devices supported by this, a Samsung S3 i9300.
It doesn't even support wifi, the camera or bluetooth without non-free
blobs! None of the devices do.

https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/ReplicantStatus#Replicant-60

A dirty secret is that unless you're one of the five people in the
world* running a crippled Trisquel distro booted via coreboot on a
decade old Thinkpad with half of it's hardware unsupported there isn't
any such thing as a fully free software stack. Well, not that is
actually useful for anything.

I'm not saying I'm happy about this or that it isn't a fight worth
having but let's not pretend that truly free devices that work for
normal people exist, because they don't. Yet. I remain hopeful!

Cheers

* or RMS, obviously