Re: [LUG] Persistent USB (sorry, no sublect in last message)

On 26/02/18 16:13, M. J. Everitt wrote:
> On 26/02/18 15:16, mr meowski wrote:
>> On 26/02/18 09:06, aaron moore wrote:
>>> Hi Lug
>>> Well, I am now the proud owner of 5 reconditioned Dell lap tops and
>>> intend to dual boot them with Ubuntu. Am I right in thinking that if I
>>> work up a persistent usb start up thumb drive and load it with all my
>>> favourite softwares i will then be able to install Ubuntu plus
>>> favourites in one go? Any advice on this gratefully received.
>>> Kind rgards
>> Cool, what did you get in the end?
>>
>> What exactly are you trying to accomplish here though - an automated
>> installation (you want kickstart for that), a pre-built customised image
>> with an answer file (you want pre-seed for that) or 100% identical
>> software+configs dumped onto every machine (you want to clone a small
>> finished image to each machine for that, and then adjust the partitions
>> to fit afterwards)?
>>
>> Or as you're setting up a mini lab/classroom sort of scenario do you
>> want to get the laptops all setup perfectly as "class laptops #1 through
>> #5" and then lock 'em down so you can restore them to exactly the same
>> state after every session? (you'll want a client/server architecture for
>> that, probably with a boot server and NFS mounts). There are equivalents
>> to the Windows "deepfreeze" management software to lock down and manage
>> Linux systems so naughty little users can't muck anything up too much.
>>
>> The one thing I'm reasonably sure of is that your Dells have come with
>> OEM Windows licenses/software on them that you understandably don't want
>> to wipe and lose but you'd prefer them to run Ubuntu. Obviously you
>> don't fancy doing the same near-identical manual install on all 5 of
>> them one after the other either, hence automation time.
>>
>> Explain exactly what your end goal is and everything will be much clearer...
>>
>> Cheers
> +1

Do you want to Dual Boot them? (Original reconditioned Windows and a
Linux OS?) or Just wipe and install windows. If the later make a recover
DVD (or system image) so you can sell them on with Windows to someone
who wants Windows when you are finished with them.
--
regards
Eion MacDonald