Re: [LUG] Persistent USB (sorry, no sublect in last message)

On 26/02/18 09:06, aaron moore wrote:
> Hi Lug
> Well, I am now the proud owner of 5 reconditioned Dell lap tops and
> intend to dual boot them with Ubuntu. Am I right in thinking that if I
> work up a persistent usb start up thumb drive and load it with all my
> favourite softwares i will then be able to install Ubuntu plus
> favourites in one go? Any advice on this gratefully received.
> Kind rgards

Cool, what did you get in the end?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish here though - an automated
installation (you want kickstart for that), a pre-built customised image
with an answer file (you want pre-seed for that) or 100% identical
software+configs dumped onto every machine (you want to clone a small
finished image to each machine for that, and then adjust the partitions
to fit afterwards)?

Or as you're setting up a mini lab/classroom sort of scenario do you
want to get the laptops all setup perfectly as "class laptops #1 through
#5" and then lock 'em down so you can restore them to exactly the same
state after every session? (you'll want a client/server architecture for
that, probably with a boot server and NFS mounts). There are equivalents
to the Windows "deepfreeze" management software to lock down and manage
Linux systems so naughty little users can't muck anything up too much.

The one thing I'm reasonably sure of is that your Dells have come with
OEM Windows licenses/software on them that you understandably don't want
to wipe and lose but you'd prefer them to run Ubuntu. Obviously you
don't fancy doing the same near-identical manual install on all 5 of
them one after the other either, hence automation time.

Explain exactly what your end goal is and everything will be much clearer...

Cheers