Re: [LUG] Fedora to ???

On 10/01/18 12:46, Richard Brown wrote:
> Thanks everyone for coming back to me. Just looking at finances and it
> is going to be a while before I can afford a m2 drive. Unfortunately,
> I am on half pay at the moment due to ill health. That said I have
> loads of spare laptop drives. So working on Mr Meowski's plan, I could
> create the os that works and then mirror onto a future m2 disk. Would
> that work please?

That would work just fine, people commonly migrate datasets between and
on/off disks all the time especially when upgrading. Honestly chief for
your purposes a NVME M2 drive - which are still pretty expensive - is
probably just overkill. A standard SATA III based 6Gbps unit like a
Samsung Evo for example would still be a colossal upgrade over your
spinning disks.

Just how many of these spare laptop drives do you have lying around by
the way? Without trying to confuse you even further, sounds like it
might be a fun and constructive little project to make an array out of
them. Not only will your data pick up some redundancy, which is always
nice, but disk performance for most usage models will actually go up
thanks to accessing the multiple spindles simultaneously. If Daniel was
correct in thinking you have 2 x 4TB HDDs to hand as your main storage
I'd personally have combined them into a redundant pool as well - unless
you actually need 8Tb to store all of your stuff!

But I don't want to confuse you even further.

So with the SSD upgrade temporarily on hold and the laptop working as
well as it needs to, are you back to square one with the PC now? I.e.,
time to build it from scratch and make it actually behave itself this time?

Cheers