Re: [LUG] HTML emails

On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 at 10:49 Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Maybe it's the rain making me grumpy, but the PGP attachment your emails contain also adds to the overhead ...This is un-needed to get the value of your words

Whose words?
If they are PGP-signed we are fairly confident whose words they are.

What words?
If they are PGP-signed we are fairly confident what words they were when sent - or that they are not the words written and sent.

>Not sure why you'd want to use the list to advertise your public PGP key,

The essence of public keys is to make them public - not for the crypto per se, but to increase the effort involved in subborning them.

> ...or care about encryption on a publically available list?

Theresa May, Home Sec and then PM.Â
And likely her successor.

There are some technical reasons as well, but rather like navies steaming past islands and reefs and through straits one should exercise freedoms a bit otherwise one may lose them, and with them the security of one's credit card and house ownership.

In addition, displaying the behaviour is a way of educating people who have not yet thought about this to think about it, in order to maintain the level of understanding reached during the 1990s, which has I think slipped a little.Â

Perhaps mailman needs to be set to discard ALL attachments?

Not a bad idea.

A Midgley