Re: [LUG] Fwd: DVD issues Xubuntu 16.04

On 10/05/17 08:38, Pentiddy wrote:
> Tried your last suggestions- no changes I'm afraid.
> Tried Handbrake (already had it installed) and it could only find the
> first 'chapter' and this is a blank 3second long video...

Well I think this case has reached it's logical conclusion by the sounds
of it... that specific disk is the problem and it appears it's not
really 'fixable', at least on your system. To be fair it's hardly the
first time a commercially produced optical disk has proven to be
defective by design, particularly when it comes to playback on a Linux
system. At least it didn't try to install a rootkit on your Windows
instance like the infamous Sony debacle back in the day.

Others may disagree but I would argue that you'd be well within your
rights to download a yourself a non-defective version of the film from
one of many well known media distribution sites. You paid for a
legitimate copy that is simply not fit for purpose and as you can't even
transcode the disk (which is itself of questionable legality, believe it
or not) to a convenient medium I would torrent a nice 1080p mkv instead
as the next best option. Added bonus: it will come without the annoying
unskippable adverts, piracy warnings and trailers as well.

> Is there any legs in investigating this with a live usb install of a
> 'bleeding edge' system as suggested by Eion?

Probably not to be honest, especially on your hardware. It's not that
your laptop isn't powerful enough (although it isn't really), it's that
the live system isn't going to work out the box and will need some
tweaking and extra packages installed, some of which will need reboots.
And they of course won't persist across reboots, being a live system, so
you're caught in a catch-22 situation. You could get around that by
mastering your own custom system with all the hardware drivers, kernel
modules and tweaked software required for a full bleeding edge live
setup but that is getting seriously complicated.

Saying that, someone else might pop up with a really cool live
media-playback oriented ISO you could use that I've not thought or heard
of, so fingers crossed.

> If so which one would you suggest?
> Am I right in my assumption that Debian is amongst the most stable and
> supported? The 'Buntu family was my entry point getting on for 10 years
> ago, and I've tried usb live versions of mint, puppy and debian amongst
> others. and played with LXDE, XFCE, Mate, Elementary, Gnome... I have
> found up to this point Xubuntu suits me- I like XFCE and the ubuntu
> support is huge.I read that mint has a big following and is considered
> stable...
> I know this is a subject all of it's own and perhaps I shouldn't start
> it on this thread, and I know I'm opening a can of worms here and
> everyone has an opinion and a preference.

Thank goodness this is a very polite list so unlike the vast majority of
online discussions, feel free to start a new thread on this without
worrying about getting flamed or starting a colossal argument! I like
those kind of discussions because often someone will mention or
recommend something I've never come across before.

> Anyhoo, must awa
> Thanks again to all and sundry, I think I'm perhaps as far down this
> particular rabbit hole as I'm comfortable with...

I think that's probably wise, there's only so much time and effort you
can reasonably sink into one issue before it gets ridiculous. You've
already tried all the obvious solutions and then some and especially as
there *is* an easy solution to hand (download a working copy of the
film) I'd say its not worth pursuing any further. I'd be entirely
unsurprised if when you revisit this at some random point months or a
year down the line it'll suddenly just work: libdvdnav or some other
core library will have had a patch submitted to work around the dodgy
disk protection on Linux and it'll be fine again.

Cheers