Re: [LUG] Skype Beta

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 9:30 PM, mr meowski via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Anyone have any input on the latest beta release from Microsoft for
> Linux?
Yep. Use it most days to join our team's remote daily stand-ups. The
new beta is way better than the old Skype client, except in one
crucial respect (see below). Interconnects well with the new-protocol
Skype clients on Macs and Windows PCs. I'm on Ubuntu 16.10, and so far
it hasn't actually crashed on me once. Occasionally we get
bandwidth-related noise or video dropouts, but to be fair that happens
on all VOIP clients as far as I can tell.

The most recent beta update added back in PSTN dialling, which wasn't
present in the alpha releases. This also works well .... for
connecting to a phone number. After that, I can't get it to generate
DTMF tones, which makes it basically useless for "Please enter your
conference code now" meet-me services. So still some way to go for
feature-parity with the Mac/Win clients, but at least it's moving in
the right direction. Which frankly is a relief - the old Linux client
was beginning to look a lot like abandonware.

I'm no Microsoft fan, but I can't fault them for having restarted
investment in what must be a pretty tiny percentage of their overall
market.

Hth,
Ian