Re: [LUG] Native Linux Data Recovery

On 06/03/17 19:24, Julian Hall via list wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> A friend has a 2 HDD NAS in RAID 1 configuration. He suspects the NAS
> box itself is dead because he cannot read from either disc separately.
> Obviously he needs to recover the data, but ZAR (Windows) is not able to
> recover anything. We think that's because the drives are Ext3 formatted.
> Is there any native Linux recovery software we can try? Asking here
> first because I know I'll get decent help backed up by actual experience.

Exact NAS make and model please chief, it makes a big difference
(vendors like to use lots of odd slightly non-standard disk setups
unfortunately). How big are the disks?

Your best bet is to immediately remove them from the NAS and worry about
that later, presuming the data is what matters. Connect them to a Linux
machine to proceed - if in doubt use the systemrescuecd as your recovery
environment as it comes with a vast swathe of filesystem and storage
drivers that will more than likely be sufficient. You will more than
likely find that simply attaching both disks and booting to
systemrescuecd or any suitably tooled up Linux distro will be sufficient
for the environment to automatically detect the RAID setup, optionally
fsck any damage and recover the array.

Report back for further help as needed, I've dealt with more than a
couple of failed NAS boxes before.

Cheers

http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage