Re: [LUG] What laptop do I need next...

On 27/08/16 11:26, Tom wrote:
> A friend is bugging me about what machine to get next. How long is a
> piece of string?
>
> Then I thought - he has a piece of string already so can we measure it
> to find out what he does so what he will need. So is there a long term
> logging app that can give an indication of memory use and cpu use to
> get a rough idea of whether he needs more ram and or more cpu etc etc?
>
> Any one used anything like this 'successfully'?
>
> Tom te tom te tom

I'd also pose the question whether there is a particular budget in mind.
I'm looking for a new laptop myself, and there definitely seems to be a
dividing line around the Â300-400 mark between the 'low spec' and the
'meatier' models. Anything these days will do basic internet and office
tasks, so the dividing line is more between whether you want gaming or
multimedia-editing capabilities (graphics and storage/memory
requirements respectively).

My old (bought 2008, and still holding together, albeit only in Linux ..
dunno why the XP install has croaked) Dell cost me around ~Â300 mark
back then, and has certainly stood the test of time, travel and use,
having had a hard disk upgrade, new battery, and RAM added since purchase!

Hope this starts to narrow things down a bit!

Michael.