Re: [LUG] Checking a hard disk

On 22/02/15 21:29, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sun, 22 Feb 2015, Roland Tarver wrote:

Hi Folks,

I have just run badblocks on a hard disk I wish to test. 0 bad blocks
found. :-)

With this encouraging result, should I take it that the disk is
totally fine to use or should I be running another diagnostic test?

Many thanks & hope you are all well? :-)

You should enable SMART for the drive and then run the smart tests on
it. These can be run daily via cron for the short tests and weekly for
the long ones.

Do remember to check the logs!

smartmontools is the debian package that has most of it.

Gordon

Awesome, thanks Gordon, Simon(s) and Dan. Will investigate the SMART tools/parameters and report back with the findings.

Many thanks
roly :-)