Re: [LUG] Checking a hard disk

On 22/02/15 19:36, Simon Avery wrote:
On 22 February 2015 at 19:17, Roland Tarver
<roland.tarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:roland.tarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    With this encouraging result, should I take it that the disk is
    totally fine to use or should I be running another diagnostic test?

Why did you run BB anyway - do you have a reason to think it's dodgy?
(Other than like every other hard drive that has ever existed, it is
merely lying in wait for the absolute worst time to fail. )

Yes I did. Basically the disk is external and used as a backup. About a year ago (!) it spewed out some weird I/O error messages. Sufficient for me to dash straight out and buy 2 brand new disks, of differing makes, in order to beef up the [resiliance | reliability?] of my backup regime. The 1TB "problem" disk has basically sat on shelf ever since - until now!

The test does what it's designed to do, but hdd firmware can mask bad
blocks when it locks them away from the OS.

Noted - thanks for the intel.

roly :-)