Re: [LUG] Firefox tabs

On 26/07/14 08:30, Neil Winchurst wrote:

> Well, one last moan then. Why on earth was the default set to leave that
> config item on? I often work in FF using just the one tab rather than
> adding new ones every time.

God, I wish I was that disciplined - I typically have 4 to 10 tab groups
open, each with 10-20 individual tabs inside. Over the course of a day's
work I'll open many, many, *many* more, often in the 50-100 range and
half of which I'll want to save for session-restore the next day. I have
to consciously discipline myself on tab control otherwise I'd be one of
those people with literally 800 tabs open at any one time.

Now that I have changed the default I can
> do that very easily. When the default was on  every time I tried to
> clear the tab contents I found myself back at the desk top.

To be fair, I would have thought that was pretty obviously going to
happen - in any tabbed application when you shut down the final tab,
what did you think it would do? You've basically told it to quit by
nuking it's final instance. What would the point be in Firefox being
open with no tabs? It would even need a tab to be open by default to
even show it's interface (that annoying homepage thing with a 3x3 grid
of default pages that I've never got around to configuring). You might
as well try opening Excel with no worksheets, or start terminal with no
open terminals.

You so crazy :]

> Oh well, thanks for all the answers, it has been useful.

As ever, that's the only important thing here.

Certain other people need to realise they're very lucky to have Firefox
as an alternative to whatever proprietary stupid crap they've unwisely
chosen to use. Choice is indeed a great thing, until you make the wrong
one. Just like there's no accounting for taste, but that's no excuse for
not having any.

Chrome on Linux indeed. You people are funny.

Regards