Re: [LUG] linux child protection

On 01/04/14 12:00, Philip Whateley wrote:
Really?

There is considerable evidence of harmful effects of watching
pornography on children, and allowing children to watch pornography is
considered to be sexual abuse in law. To quote Devon County Council's
"Safeguarding Children" training, Sexual Abuse does include "non-contact
activities, such as involving children in looking at, or in the
production of, sexual online images, watching sexual activities, or
encouraging children to behave in sexually inappropriate ways or
grooming children in preparation for abuse"

1. CEOPS states that 57% of 9 - 19 year olds have come into contact with
online pornography accidentally.
2. Exposure to pornography in children is known to cause behavioural
changes including mood changes, lack of trust, low self esteem,
aggressive behaviour, substance abuse, self harming and feelings of
shame or guilt.
2. Working in an early years setting, we have encountered 2 instances in
the last 3 years where a child has disclosed to us that they were
sexually abused by an older sibling, who abused because they had been
exposed to online pornography.

Incidentally, "child protection" is specifically defined as protecting
children from deliberate harm. I think that the subject line of this
thread should more properly be Linux Child Safeguarding.

Phil

i agree, with you here, Something has to be done, I think my point was that blocking some of this material does not address the fact that there is a victim somewhere, and by blocking there is a danger or real danger this will be pushed to a more shady underworld that is harder to track.

What we need to do as i said is create an environment where children and young people feel safe and secure enough to disclose things that are happening to them or friends.

We cannot protect children / young people 24 /7 but we can do OUR small bit. More laws won't help, more enforcement, backed by judges, backed by the courts could make a difference.

Digital literacy in schools should also be addressing these issues, with the appropriate age groups

Paul