Re: [LUG] OT: Curious spam similar to Yahoo! stuff

On 13/02/14 21:26, Martijn Grooten wrote:
On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 06:19:19PM +0000, Simon Avery wrote:
I respect your opinion a lot, and your experience in this area outstrips
mine so perhaps I'm over-critical. I don't deal with them on a daily basis,
but they have failed to address what must be massively gaping holes in
security for far, far, FAR longer than I would deem reasonable.
Thanks.
<SNIP>
Authentication is hard. It becomes even harder if it appears that two
people have access to the account: how do you distinguish the genuine
account holder from the fake one?
One possibility occurs to me. Note the IP address they send email from. Each time a new one pops up send an email to their backup account asking them to confirm it was them - include the message as I doubt most users would know an IP address from a postcode. If they confirm, add the IP address to accepted ones for that account. Facebook already do a similar thing - assuming the user enables it - and email you when a new device is used to access your account, so it's obviously possible.

Theoretically, they /could/ then dig or whois IP addresses the user denies are theirs and automate a spam report to the network concerned.

Julian