Re: [LUG] Memory stick not recognised

On 24.08.2013 11:19, Björn Grohmann wrote:

On 24 Aug 2013 09:06, "Neil Winchurst" <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 23/08/13 19:27, tom wrote:
>>>

>> One possibility is the drive is ntfs and the laptop doesnt have ntfs
>>
>> drivers installed/enabled???
>> Tom te tom te tom
>>
> No, not so. The laptop is using ext4. I have previously reformatted the stick to ext4 using gparted (it came as FAT32). I have never tried ntfs.
>
> Neil
>

> --

File permissions perhaps? I have had USB stick files show on one computer but not the next even when I was logged in as root on both. Elevating the permissions solved the issue in my case.
Regards Bjőrn.

I know that in theory it's ideologically nice to have your USB stick formatted to something linuxie, but I've had so many problems using ext4 etc with my USB stuff and file permissions that I just use FAT32. Also for me USB sticks, external harddrives etc., are all about portability and ext4 ain't gonna give you that if you want to watch that movie, transfer that album, run that powerpoint presentation or print your document from some windows box.

Life is too short to spend time faffing around with permissions on libre office docs, so my advice would be to swallow your geekly pride, grit your teeth and format the thing to FAT32.

So if you're sure your never going to go near windows just make sure the file permissions are set to let everything and everybody use it and anything you transfer to it also.