[LUG] Automating server builds was Re: SSH key management

On 15 Aug 2013, at 21:16, bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  But when it's taking 2
> hours to build a 3 server test rig, you're doing something very, very
> wrong. My lowly i7 workstation can spin up 3 new VMs and deploy them in

It took longer than 2, but it was my first time through, and a number of new apps or
versions of apps to master. As I said I've gone straight to snapshot of the result.
So I've only done it once.

No PHB, but some steps not yet automated in application set-up. Developer assures me
most of the manual steps update one table of config setting in the database, so most
of that will be easy to automate.

I'm not convinced on the snapshot of finished builds where we can automated
everything. The build time for the automated steps is short and not an issue, and we
tend to rebuild because we need to test with something new, so reinstall often
cleaner and more flexible.