Re: [LUG] SSH key management

On 15/08/13 18:20, Simon Waters wrote:
> Curious how folk manage this.
>
> Most of the time life has been simple enough that I can manage it by Simon knows
> if the server was just reinstalled because Simon just reinstalled it approach.
>
> It relies on fallible humans, and it doesn't scale, and frankly wasn't THAT
> secure, but then it didn't have to be.
>
> I know they can go in the DNS (although the DNS then ought to be cryptographically
> secured (probably not a problem - GoDaddy do it for a few dollar a month but not
> sure I'd want to use them for work stuff, but solutions exists here which are
> cheap and easy to do). No sniggering about .GOV at the back.
>
> But what is the preferred method for the more paranoid amongst you?
>
> My primary goal is to make a new key message, or a mismatching key message, rare
> enough that people will have time to stop and think when they see one, rather than
> just adding it, or removing a stale entry (you all know what I mean, even if you
> don't do it).
>
> It isn't a high priority - so solutions have to be lightweight and not demand much
> of the users of ssh (hence the DNS being interesting).
>
>  Simon

SSHFP all the way: but you need to control the DNS servers as well
(which had better be DNSSEC enabled, otherwise you're half-assing the
job). I have so many SSH keys to manage that the "Simon knows if the
server was just reinstalled because Simon just reinstalled it" method,
which also worked fine for me for a long time, stopped scaling way back.
But I don't control the DNS at every place I work for, so this doesn't
work everywhere.

Ultimately, you have to train your admins - and yourself - to not just
blindly click/tap through those warnings: we've all done it.

And seriously, f**k GoDaddy. Never use them for anything, ever. There
are no exceptions to this rule.

Regards