Re: [LUG] Experts vs Open to All

On 30 Jul, 2013, at 9:13 am, James Kilty wrote:

there is never any silly question, only a learning opportunity, and pleasure in helping someone learn, especially about learning how to learn for themselves.

+1 to that. Exactly what I wanted to say.

Astute readers will notice that I don't always live up to this. Something we've been missing in this discussion is any consideration of mood and emotion. It's not all a matter of principles and rules and guidelines. Sometimes I'm happy to help a questioner with a didn't- bother-to-look question who really should know better, just because I can and I happen to have some time. Sometimes I'm harsh on a questioner with a borderline question whose own circumstances I haven't considered at all. Consistency is a low priority, and (this is the point) it can only ever be such. We are not input-output automata (at least not on this level, and that's a different discussion entirely).

And a couple of times a year even now after <mumble> years I ask dumb- newbie-didn't-google-first-somebody-do-the-work-for-me questions myself, who knows why. I try to forgive myself. :-)

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63