Re: [LUG] Experts vs Open to All

On 29/07/13 00:02, Julian Hall wrote:

[1] The gent who was told by a colleague to right click on the mouse, and did so with a pen - 'write 'click'' - is an exception. Sadly that is not apocryphal.

My wife looks after the social media side of her charity's web site. She wanted to keep someone on as a moderator when he could not get something to work. He was told by someone else to try "clearing your cache" or "another browser". He asked her what a browser was. She easily and patiently explained that Firefox ..... Apparently he had heard of Firefox and had even seen it in use, but did not know the term "browser". He is a very good moderator and in another role, essential to keep onside. It was never a problem for her to give such a basic explanation. As a former teacher, I believe there is never any silly question, only a learning opportunity, and pleasure in helping someone learn, especially about learning how to learn for themselves. Motivation to learn is precious and can easily be damaged so needs nurturing. Best to let someone else answer anything we dislike.

I rarely post a question now as I am in that intermediate state of having sufficient understanding to do what I need and having learned how to find things out, though sometimes I ask off-list someone I think will answer me readily. I find all discussions illuminating and often admire members for their depth of knowledge and their ability to demonstrate the fruits of years of study and experience. I often apply the answers to another member's question!

Mind you, I did not get an answer to my last question about a misbehaving printer, which might have been due to moving between wine and another application. I have resolved that by learning to use gLabels with the correct printer setting, though it still needs a little tweak to align right for more than a half page.

Thanks all
James

--
James Kilty