Re: [LUG] auto starting services

I don't think Ubuntu made things easy with these changes. Indeed they are in a
transition phase in 12.04 lts where they have both upstart, and a bastardised
sysvinit, so at least twice as complicated, whilst Debian flirts with systemd which
is better and with added backward compatibility, but means Ubuntu is drifting away
creating extra maintenance headache for themselves.

Presumably the rationale was to make things boot faster and more robustly. However I
suspect faster could be achieved by simpler changes (sysvinit scripts were pretty
awful if performance was your goal last time I looked, I doubt they were optimised
much since I looked) and I'm not sure robustness has improved noticeably.