Re: [LUG] The rationale behind dynamic IP addresses (was: Your ISP - and IPv6)

 On 05/07/2013 21:53, Martijn Grooten wrote:
On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 9:36 PM, bad apple wrote:
This is so true... I've always thought it crazy that ISPs want to charge
extra for a static IP. It's actually less work for them after all.
I've been wondering this for some time as well. Could it be that
changing the IP address every once in a while 'solves' a lot of
problems, from an IP address being blacklisted because your son had
spent an evening trolling the Internet, to your computer being
attacked because you confused a firewall with a welcome mat.

Martijn.
It could be simply that it would be more expensive for them. Say you had 2 million customers all with static IPs, you'd have to buy a big enough block of IPs so they could have one each. If on the other hand you knew from servers logs etc that the most you'd ever had online at the same time was 500,000 you could get away with a block of say 600,000 to give yourself a bit of leeway and save on the big block expense.

So, if a customer wants a static IP from you, in the above case that's one customer taking up an IP they'd usually share (over a period of time) with four customers. It takes away a bit of their flexibility so they charge you more for it.

I'm not saying it's a perfect theory, but it is /a/ theory :)

Julian