Re: [LUG] Your ISP - and IPv6

On Fri, 5 Jul 2013, Simon Avery wrote:

Unless you specifically need static ip addresses (ipv4, and I kinda like
them, but I'm not a typical user)

It's nothing to do with static IP addresses. Today, if an ISP has 10,000 customers then it needs 10,000 IP addresses. It's potentially worse for an ISP that forces you to change your IP address every time you connect too as they need to keep a small pool of unused ones to cycle round.

The days of an ISP having 1000+ customers and 64 modem lines and 64 IP addresses are long gone. (I used to manage one, never again!) Everyone has internet on all the time now. The whole dynamic vs. static IP address is just another thing that the ISPs think they can charge you more for when you "upgrade" to a static IP address. The reality is that ISPs managing dynamic/changing IP addresses actually have more equipment and a more complex setup than ISPs handing out static IP addresses.

Gordon