Re: [LUG] Asterisk - quiet caller on POTS line

On 04/07/13 11:30, Rob Beard wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm having a few issues with Asterisk and I wondered if someone
> might be able to suggest any ideas how I might be able to solve
> it?
>
> Basically we've got a machine running Asterisk with a Digium
> analogue card with two FXO ports and two FXS ports.  The phones we
> use are Grandstream GXP1400/GXP1405 phones and one little
> Grandstream DECT IP phone (can't remember the model number off the
> top of my head).

Maybe a DP715

> The Asterisk box is connected to two BT lines which are located out
> in the middle of nowhere (well, at least a couple of miles outside
> of Totnes and what I suspect is a couple of bits of wet string).
> Due to the location we get a fairly low broadband speed and
> considering the other stuff we have going over the connection using
> VoIP probably wouldn't work too well (at least VoIP calls between
> sites as a test was hit and miss, sometimes worked, other times
> didn't), so until BT bring FTTC to the area we're a bit stuck with
> what we have.  ISDN is a bit out of our budget too.

SamKnows has a reference to 01/09/2013 for FttC on the Totnes exchange.

> So the issue we're having is when someone calls in to the site, or
> someone calls out the volume of the caller at the office end in
> Totnes is quiet.  We can hear who we are calling, or whoever calls
> in okay (we did have some echo issues but I think we've kind of
> solved them).
>
> We're using Asterisk SVN-branch-1.8-r383667 built from source with
> Dahdi 2.6.2 also built from source on Debian 6.0.7.
>
> I've tried adjusting the txgain in chan_dahdi.conf and it doesn't
> seem to make much if any difference (I've also restarted dahdi and
> Asterisk after making the changes).  It's currently set at txgain =
> 22.0 (I wasn't sure how high to put it to).

You could try a Zycoo ZX20-A202. Which is an ARM based Asterisk box with
two FXO ports built in. (Around £140).

> As a last resort we've tried an analogue phone and that does seem a
> bit louder, so this makes me think there is something happening in
> the phone system to cause it.  At the moment the phone system is in
> the office and connected via some CAT5 cable to the phone lines
> which terminate in the next office (well one does, the other
> terminates at another location and is on a long extension cable).

How long an extension cable? Might be better to run CW1308, even CAT5, t
a secondary socket. Keeping the flex to under 2m.