Re: [LUG] Bootable USB device created with dd not recognized by other systems

On Wed, 2013-07-03 at 23:41 +0100, bad apple wrote:
> On 03/07/13 22:52, Kevin Lucas wrote:
> > This is weird as I was just looking at this to speed up things here
> > and wondered how things worked with UEFI and PXE any dilemmas? or do
> > you just need to turn it off?
>
> Well, you can't really turn the UEFI "off" can you? I think you meant
> secureboot, which yes, you'll definitely have to turn off (even for
> doing win8/server2012 via WDS - you'd think it would work on that stack,
> but trust me, it doesn't).
>
> Apart from that, no problems at all. If anything, modern systems with
> UEFI tend to be equipped with much better network chipsets and boot
> ROMs, compared to the often flaky rubbish of yesteryear so if anything
> it's made it easier. You're still going to have to actually enable the
> network PXE boot in UEFI for 90% of the time though, it's usually
> disabled by default on consumer boxes and often doesn't show up in the
> "press F12 for boot menu" entries until it's been re-enabled.
>
> But yeah, if you get through a lot of machines, and not just installing,
> but routinely booting trashed systems with a variety of linux rescue
> tools, etc, then build yourself a boot/install server. It will save you
> so, so much time. If you also have to maintain and roll out custom
> images of linux for customer servers, and windows builds for various
> roles and so on, you absolutely *have* to get one.
>
> Technically, I actually have two install servers (both old 'real'
> servers, long since converted to VMs). The main one is an Ubuntu server
> 10.04 LTS for all the linux and BSD builds, and the other one is a
> Windows Deployment Server with all the countless confusing subsystems
> required for rolling/deploying windows builds. I'm not even going to try
> and pretend that compared with the completely straightforward linux
> server, the windows box isn't an absolute pig to work with... Here,
> linux is definitely your friend.
>
> If you are rolling lots and lots of boxes, you'll definitely want to
> look into Puppet, Chef or something similar as well.
>
> Cheers

Thanks,
         I just need something to boot a variety of PCs off if they're in need
of TLC.
        I use a mix of USB CD DVD and External Drive at the minute but one Std
boot would work much better, I just need to remember to remove the NW
boot when I'm done!

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)