Re: [LUG] OT: Spot the Space Station - heavens above site

On 28/11/12 03:02, bad apple wrote:
On 27/11/12 23:04, paul sutton wrote:
https://www.scientificlinux.org/

have a look at the above its a specific science distro for linux,
However if you get a package list and google maybe there are windows
ports for many of the applications.

Paul

Not likely - you do realise that scientific linux is a respin of the
official RHEL 6 sources right? Think of it more as a "unbadged" version
of RHEL, like CentOS, but this particular spin is masterminded primarily
by the IT departments at leading American tech institutions like
Fermilab and CERN. As such, it's not a distro to install by halfwits who
think it might have matlab or some other $RANDOM_SCIENCE_TOOL installed
by default: it's an actual distro built by world-leading science IT
support departments for said world-leading science departments to get
serious work done on. As such, expect tools such as iSCSI targetting,
GPFS clustering, puppet-deployment infrastructure and seriously grown-up
utilities to be the emphasis, not some random shit you think might be
included because it has the word "science" in it's URL. Jesus christ,
you people make me despair sometimes. It's not like any of this is on
the damn frontpage of scientificlinux.org or anything (sarcasm: it *IS*).

On a more positive note: scientific linux is thoroughly excellent, and
from personal experience, if your company isn't willing to spring for
official RHEL licensing it is the only way to go (CentOS lost the plot a
long time ago). Particularly if you're a RPM rather than DEB sort of
person, it's truly excellent. Pointy headed bosses will love it because
it's a top notch, weapons grade free OS that won't cost them a penny but
has the cachet of big supporting names (i.e., if CERN uses it, what
could possibly go wrong?) and looks, smells and feels like
uber-expensive RHEL. Scientific Linux and Debian are the two MVPs in the
current enterprise world, and you could do a lot worse than learning
them both thoroughly.

Regards

PS: in the extremely unlikely event that any of you are actually
deploying scientificlinux in the real world and using FCoE, there is a
known and game-stopping bug when using Brocade converged switches. If
VMWare ESXi is involved in any way it gets (way) more complicated. As a
contractor I don't sign NDAs so can distribute my terrible, half-arsed
(but functional!) fix on request. Honestly, just stick to iSCSI - it
will save you a world of pain.

PPS: no offence intended Paul

err OK, next time I want to search for god particles in the accelerator I made out of pringles tubes and buried under the lawn I'll definitely install scientific linux....