Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

On 03/11/12 13:12, Daniel Robinson wrote:

> *Passwords*
>
> One password for computer login
> One password for mail servers
> One password for trusted sites
> One password for untrusted sites
>
> obviously use the strongest and most memorable passwords possible

The anecdote that kills this one is the guy at ICL who used the same
password (in an allegedly drunken evening of game playing) on an online
MUD as he used for root on a system, only to have it drop out of "crack"
when the next upgrade.

The MUD passwords were used to seed the database used by crack.

I use to do something like this, then my Twitter account was abused
(possibly by some other method, possibly the password was guessed, I
couldn't tell). Thus I had to give a new password to several hundred low
priority web sites. Sure I could risk them all being abused, the risk is
small, but the consequences of inaction would add up.

Now all my online properties have a unique password of 16+ (where
allowed) letters, characters and numbers, they are kept in a password
manager. I appreciate the password manager is a weak spot in this
configuration, but it is probably better at spotting fake password forms
than I am, it can certainly type quicker.

I record password recovery information in a file kept with strong
encryption, for each site answers to security questions like "What is
your mother's maiden name" are long random strings similar to a password.

crack also tries trivial variants on the passwords it knows about, you
can be sure the bad guys will too if they get your password plaintext
and your method of salting is too obvious they'll just add it to the
tool set they use.

The assumptions many of us have made in the past about passwords and
encryptions keys are probably obsolete.

"âA 384-bit key I can factor on my laptop in 24 hours,â he says. âThe
512-bit keys I can factor in about 72 hours using Amazon Web Services
for $75."

http://dropsafe.crypticide.com/article/9014

Similar comments apply to password length. freerainbowtables.com and the
like will ship you 3 x 3TB hard drives full of rainbow tables if you ask
them to and supply Â800. That there is enough interest for a market
should worry people using passwords under about 12 characters.