Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

On 03/11/12 18:00, bad apple wrote:

> sudo apt-get install keepass2
> sudo apt-get install clamav
> sudo apt-get install openssh-server (I still can't understand why this
> is not installed by default on Ubuntu, Mint, etc)
> sudo apt-get install gufw && gksudo gufw
> sudo apt-get install gparted && gksudo gparted (gparted is a graphical
> partitioning tool)
> sudo apt-get install fail2ban (it will set itself up with a basic but
> workable configuration out of the box)
> sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping

I have been looking through your email (mostly snipped), thanks.
I use keepass already, but I did not know that there was a new version.
Seahorse seems to be for Gnome.

You mention gufw which I assume is a Gnome program. If this is to look
after setting up keys for gpg then I suppose, as a KDE user, I would use
kgpg instead? Likewise instead of gksudo I use kdesudo.

I already have gparted installed and use it to reformat memory sticks
for example.

Openssh-server is new to me, but I may well not need this. Will research
it to see. Likewise fail2ban.

Unity is irrelevant to me.

I expect to be installing the new distro very soon, so I am trying to
get all research done first.

Neil