Re: [LUG] Home server

I've been away for the weekend and have just spotted this thread... my home server contains pretty much everything (documents, music files, video files etc) in one location to make backups easier and can run 24/7 for instant access. Mine is an Acer Easystore H340 (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/desktops/355561/acer-easystore-h340) - it came with Windows Home Server which it ran on until one of the disks died. I then bought a 3TB disk without realising that getting them to work on Windows is a major PITA and decided to run it on Linux (which accepts 3TB drives quite happily). It's currently running Ubuntu Server with Amahi (http://www.amahi.org/) but I'm not keen on Amahi so I'm thinking of using some spare disks to install Debian instead and using the Ubuntu/Amahi disks as backup drives with some sort of rsync setup (previously when it ran WHS I'd relied on a very ad hoc method with external USB drives).
It's situated behind my TV and is very quiet in operation, I'm writing this in the front room with the TV off and can hear it, but it's not at all intrusive - when it ran WHS it was louder as Windows was always doing something on there even when I wasn't, so the lights would be flashing away and the drives were always being accessed, whereas now it's much quieter and the only time I hear the drives operating is if I'm running something on there, eg a large file transfer.
Jason