Re: [LUG] Home server

On 07/10/12 13:07, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Fri, 5 Oct 2012, Neil Winchurst wrote:

I have noticed that several of the list members mention that they have a
server set up at home. Can anyone tell me what that is all about please
and why anyone would want/need to have one?

I have a couple of "servers" in my home/office - mostly for disk storage
and to take archive copies of data I hold in the data centre and various
customer sites.

I don't need it for a print server as all our printers have Ethernet
sockets and are on the LAN. Our workstations are Linux so NFS works
really well to share data.

As for hardware, if you can get them the HP microservers are highly
recommended.

Shop around for them as there are deals to be had.. e.g.

http://www.ebuyer.com/281915-hp-proliant-turion-ii-n40l-microserver-100-cashback-658553-421

That's what I have now, well I have the slightly older model with an Athlon II Neo CPU (something like 1.3GHz with 3GB Ram and 4 drives). Works really well, I find it's a little noisy for a living room (don't get me wrong, it's not really loud, but I can hear the fan running on it... I keep meaning to fit a quieter fan).

For the money it was a great deal and it sits there happily whirring away and IIRC the CPU itself in them is pretty low wattage too. Previously I'd got a Pentium 4 running at about 2.8GHz in the loft with about 6 drives, I don't think that was very economical on the power usage.

<snip>

These are pretty low-power too - and I'm told they're quiet - another
consideration if you don't have an out of the way place to keep it.
Beware the attic/loft though - they can get very hot in the summer!

Ahh that confirms what I thought about the low power. At the moment I can't hear the server for the noise from my laptop fan. I decided with my Microserver to leave it in the lounge as it's pretty small anyway. Does get dusty though although that might be partly down to the fact it's stuck in the corner of the room on the floor.

Rob