Re: [LUG] Dual Boot Windows 7

On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 07:20:42 PM bad apple wrote:
> On 12/09/12 19:02, adam.latham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Quite a tirade, but in fairness, expected and invited so no-need
for you
> > to feel any regret.  No harm, no foul.
> >
> > I have no problem with your view, or your advice.  However, I don't
do
> > drone and I enjoy treading the path less travelled.
> >
> > I'm not an IT worker (thankfully!!) just someone who doesn't
subscribe
> > to hysterical corporate ravings, and has enough knowledge to use
my
> > computer for what I want.
> >
> > I don't hold any fear of the internet.
> >
> > I applaud your security consciousness and can utterly appreciate
that
> > people who don't take it as 'seriously' as you (for want of better
words)
> > would drive you nuts!
> >
> > My response is simply this:  your diatribe may well be entirely
accurate
> > and justified - who am I to argue?  However, if my driving
instructor
> > fom many years ago decided to illuminate me with such a
critique, I
> > would tell him where to get off.  My car, my license, my problem.
> >
> > I bought my computers, I know 'just enough to be a danger to
myself
> > and others', I pay for my Broadband, my problem.
> >
> > The thread was originally about a Windows Update breaking a
debian
> > install/partition/dual boot.  Shall we stick to that and move on?
> >
> > The bit about not knowing me from adam was very funny - I had a
loud
> > chuckle!
> >
> > I agree entirely with you in everything you say.  But I'm happy
plodding
> > on regardless, old pal, just the way I like it, and I shall be utterly
> > ignoring your very informative, thorough and accurate advice.
> >
> > The path less travelled, dear friends.
>
> Well, apparently I was right about one thing - despite our obvious
> disagreements about IT security, you do indeed seem to be a very
nice man.

> These days, especially on the internet, people tend to take grave
> offence about everything, let alone after a thorough savaging like
that.

I understand what you mean about the preponderance of 'righteous
indignation' in some internet forums.  I don't understand it myself - if
you're making (essentially) public statements, then you've got to
expect people to disagree with you, surely?

> I highly suspect that you are more mature than me (maybe it's the
family
> - I'm a stereotypical single hacker).

And surely 'mature' isn't really quantifiable?  I suspect I'm a tad on the
grey-side of where you are in life, but I bet I can  do some damn
immature stuff still (Microshaft ringing any bells? lol!)

> I wish you the best of luck on
> your less-travelled road as you've obviously thought it through,
made
> your bed, and are quite happy lying in it. More power to you.
>
> If by any miracle I decide to break cover and actually attend a LUG
> meeting, I shall buy you a beer.

Keep up the good works, and cheers for the beer.  I owe you one, for
keeping the internet safe for me! :)

> Well played sir.
>
> Cheers!

*adam*

PS:  The road less travelled does NOT pass through Totnes, or Narnia...
Just in case you were worried.