Re: [LUG] Dual Boot Windows 7

On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 05:43:20 PM bad apple wrote:
> [...]
> problem because they know not to do silly things on the big bad
> internet. Except you're even worse, because it's not just you but
your
> entire family's computers you're utterly failing to responsibly
> administer. We have a term for people like you: you know just
enough to
> be a danger, to yourself and others. You do however follow the
familiar
> pattern of childishly using terms like "microshaft" and "internet
> exploiter" - really? Are you 12?
>
> So let's get this straight: you have 7 machines, and you are at least
> skilled enough to have dual booted all of them and setup offsite
> clonezilla backups (I'll give you some credit here: good job - pity
> you're missing the forest for the trees though). So you once got
stung
> by a bad Microsoft update - did you notice the bit in my previous
email
> where I pointed out that you should always check through, and
ideally
> evaluate/test microsoft patches rather than blindly clicking through
and
> accepting everything on patch Tuesday (coincidentally today)? You
do
> realise that non-essential updates such as WGA alterations and
> undesirables such as DRM enhancements can be deselected, and
many tools
> exist to centrally manage and deploy updates even for small
networks
> like yours? And you lost all your data due to this bad patch - well,
> seeing as you apparently understand what offsite backups are, how
the
> hell did you lose all your data? Especially as you also know what
> Ultimate Boot CD is, how did you not offline boot the broken box
and
> recover your data? Well, you didn't say explicitly, but I'll do you a
> favour and presume you did.
>
> Yes, Microsoft updates can be tricky or broken. Which begs the
question,
> why the hell are you still using windows at all on your 7 dual-boot
> boxes as you evidently don't like/trust it? The only real reason would
> be gaming, but there is no way you need windows gaming on every
single
> machine. Just use linux for god's sake and stop complaining that
you
> don't know how to manage windows machines. Did you ever think of
> isolating windows in a VM and rolling back to snapshot if things go
> wrong? Maybe, I don't know, test the updates first in a windows VM
and
> once you're happy with them, roll them out to your bare metal
machines?

> Apparently your family know not to do "stupid things": good for
them,
> you've probably taught them some good practice and well done.
Now please
> explain to me how that is going to help in the real world. Have you
even
> looked at the CVE database recently? The modern internet is full of
> horrifically advanced multi-stage zero-days, APTs, crimeware (Zeus,
etc)
> and countless other sophisticated threats that can be triggered by
> trivial things such as drive-by. Google's rotating banner ads have
> repeatedly been documented as serving up sophisticated malware.
Local
> script kiddies with backtrack CDs can effortlessly compromise your
> WPS-equipped router or uncover it's hidden default factory logins
(see
> GNUcitizen, etc). Do you use DNSSEC? Didn't think so. Well, guess
what,
> you're eminently compromisable. With 7 unpatched windows boxes I
promise
> you there are more attack vectors into your systems than you can
count
> on all of your family's fingers and toes put together. All of the
> lessons about not visiting attack sites or opening unsolicited emails
is
> a total waste of time in the face of the overwhelming insecurity you
> have willingly introduced to your network.
>
> The worst thing is, you say you've not had any problems. Well, I
> challenge you to prove it. How do you know? Even I can't 100% say
I've
> not been compromised, and as you can probably tell I'm as
paranoid as
> they come.
>
> I urge you to seriously sort your shit out. When you're pwned, which
you
> will be, the whole internet will be rightfully very upset with you, and
> all because you don't know how to administer your computers
properly.
> You owe it your family to pull your head out of your ass and learn
how
> to either A: administer windows properly (pro-tip: it's not difficult.
> Technet is your friend and it's completely free) B: yank your internet
> connection because you're not responsible enough to have one.
>
> /END RANT
>
> Apologies again both to Adam and the list: nobody wants to read
several
> paragraphs of what I understand is a rather unpleasant attack
piece. I'm
> sure you're a very nice guy with your family's best interest at heart
> but for the love of god, you're doing it wrong. Stop it. You are failing
> so hard it's not funny. As all I've done is basically be nasty to you, I
> hereby volunteer to help you with anything you may like advice or
> guidance on.
>
> Best wishes

Quite a tirade, but in fairness, expected and invited so no-need for you
to feel any regret.  No harm, no foul.

I have no problem with your view, or your advice.  However, I don't do
drone and I enjoy treading the path less travelled.

I'm not an IT worker (thankfully!!) just someone who doesn't subscribe
to hysterical corporate ravings, and has enough knowledge to use my
computer for what I want.

I don't hold any fear of the internet.

I applaud your security consciousness and can utterly appreciate that
people who don't take it as 'seriously' as you (for want of better words)
would drive you nuts!

My response is simply this:  your diatribe may well be entirely accurate
and justified - who am I to argue?  However, if my driving instructor
fom many years ago decided to illuminate me with such a critique, I
would tell him where to get off.  My car, my license, my problem.

I bought my computers, I know 'just enough to be a danger to myself
and others', I pay for my Broadband, my problem.

The thread was originally about a Windows Update breaking a debian
install/partition/dual boot.  Shall we stick to that and move on?

The bit about not knowing me from adam was very funny - I had a loud
chuckle!

I agree entirely with you in everything you say.  But I'm happy plodding
on regardless, old pal, just the way I like it, and I shall be utterly
ignoring your very informative, thorough and accurate advice.

The path less travelled, dear friends.