Re: [LUG] Linux as a gaming platform? WAS :- Microsoft in first loss to date

Although I advocate FLOSS and couldn't live without it I think there is a difference between software that allows you to /do/ something and software that is purely for /entertainment/. I consider a closed source game in the same department as a film or music, its entertainment and I don't mind paying for it. I have no will or reason to want to hack away at a film or MP3 track in the same way I wouldn't with a commercial game. Its not quite the same (i used to mod games), granted, but the closest comparison I can think of :).

I see a big difference here, and it's one I'm surprised more developers don't take advantage of. I see nothing wrong with the actual game content being wrapped up in all sorts of copyright law (same as a film or music track), but then using a Free game engine (like all good software is).

Of the big development houses, ID are probably the best at this, but even they only release their engine once it's been retired. Still, that act has given Linux some of its best games. With a working engine in hand, amateur developers were able to make incremental improvements to the engine and focus on making the actual game content.

It would be really nice to see more Free engines out there, and then if publishers like, keep the games them selves wrapped up tight with copyright.