Re: [LUG] Linux as a gaming platform? WAS :- Microsoft in first loss to date

On 23/07/12 14:21, Daniel Robinson wrote:
I play games, it's the main reason why I use windows 7 today.
For years I've wanted Linux to be my OS of choice but it was this whole "games are made for DirectX" issue that has kept me using Microsoft Windows. If game developers used an open platform for writing their games on I'm pretty sure most gamers would use the open platform. Most of my gaming friends for instance all use the same hacked copy of Windows 7 to play their games on including myself and I'd think people would prefer to have free software on their PC as opposed to hacked-ware. I don't know why more work isn't being done to create a better platform for games within the community. If anything... I blame Cadega!!!

Kind Regards

Daniel

Microsoft has (and will continue) to push hard on the gaming front. Your last sentence doesn't make much sense, if Microsoft have been actively seeking people to use DirectX how can Linux create a better gaming platform? DirectX would never be released on a non-Microsoft platform (in my opinion) so its a good lock-in on their part. Notice how about 10 years ago 'Games for Windows' started popping up on every game case?